Monday, October 18, 2010

Another day....Another visit

Mom went for radiation today. I brought Madison with me to keep a smile on her face. Mary came too with a brand new hairdo, she cute her hair very short in support of mom losing her hair. That's what friends are for right? :)

So after radiation we made our way upstairs to the oncologist's office. Madison stood in the waiting room with my ipod and sang and danced to Dynomite by Taio Cruz for her Grammie lol it was very cute, everyone was laughing. 

So the Dr. plans to start Chemotherapy on Oct. 27th, the day after the last day of radiation. He said by that time the pneumonia should be under control if not gone and she will be able to handle the treatment. Mom wants it this way, the sooner the better. He explained the drugs that they would be using. He also asked if we had gotten a second opinion yet and recommended a Dr. at Yale. I still haven't heard back from Dana Farber but I will be calling them in the morning. But I thought that was very nice of him to understand that a second or third opinion is usually a must. Especially when we are dealing with my mothers life. So I between now and the 27th to get her a second opinion. 

The nurse showed us the chemotherapy room, a smaller room with about 10 recliners in it and a television. The treatment will take about 2 hours and she will be able to go home. The nurse said she would probably feel lethargic and possibly sick 2-3 days later. But that's what we are here for :) With some great advice from friends about gatorade and ginger pops, I think we can help her out a little. 

So in the meantime she will continue with her radiation and continue taking her protein shakes to keep her weight up and we will move on to the next day. She's keeping herself busy with working and card games twice a week. My mothers a trooper....no doubt about it, strongest woman I have ever met in my life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment