Friday, October 29, 2010

It's just hair....

Wednesday was Mom's first day of chemotherapy. It was also the first day that she called me and said that her hair was falling out everywhere. I sat with her, along with Mary, and waited two hours for those drugs to drip slowly into her. But these are the drugs that will extend her life, so two hours??? Who cares!! Mary knited her new scarf while we all talked and mom red her magazine. It was a little bit surreal....was this really happening??

But she felt good, they started with an anti-nausea medication and then the two drugs that the chemo consisted of, one lasting about 15 minutes and the other about 2 hours.  She did great!

So after I left the cancer center, I went to pick up Madison and go to the wig shop in Waterbury to pick up a few head wraps. Mom wanted them to catch the hair while it fell out. So Madison helped me pick out a black one and a really pretty white one with blue flowers....her favorite. So Mom went to work that day, like the amazing trooper that she is, and we brought her the scarves.


The 28th was Carrie's birthday. So Mary came to the house and shaved Mom's head so she could wear her wig. Which by the way, looks amazing :) We all had lunch as a family and Mom went to work, as usual.

Today was different, since Madison slept over her cousins house, I slept in. Mom called me at 10am wondering why I hadn't called her yet. She wanted to know what she can drink besides ginger ale and water, she was thirsty for something with flavor. She sounded great. But Shannon called me a few hours later and asked me to sleep over Mom's house, she said she sounded really tired and run down. Which....the nurses said would happen within a day or two. But after calling her several times throughout the day she insisted that I not sleep over and that she was just a little tired and was fine....typical of my mother. 

So I sit here and wonder how she will be tomorrow. She needs to rest but insists on being the strong woman that she is and go go go. And I thank her for making me be the strong woman that I am today. 

So now we wait....for the next radiology appointment, the next oncologist appointment, the next test to tell us that this is working. But in the mean time, we enjoy what we have. Madison can't wait to visit Grammie in her mermaid costume for Halloween!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment